Chalk ABC Background

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Perfect Timing!

So my 2nd Donors Choose grant was fully funded on Sunday, 2/9.  I'm excited about the timing of this & here's why:

  1. I enrolled in a district-wide book study (on 2 texts Igniting a Passion for Reading & The Book Whisperer) in an attempt to amp-up literacy instruction in my room.  Honestly, it's been awhile since a study was offered & I found appealing!  I have been so pleased with these books & our study in general.  Part of our "final project" is to present on a strategy (which I chose from the book).  I chose The Golden Bookshelf.  Basically, I recommend a book to my kiddos & place it in at a location where it will be noticed - the kids LOVE coming in on Monday & seeing what book they have to look forward to for the upcoming week.
  2. I modeled goal setting with my students.  I told them I would put up a picture book on The Golden Shelf each week, and we'd be sure to read it.  Man, do they NAG me to read the books!  So far I've featured: Over & Under in the Snow, Move Over Rover!, Sneezy the Snowman, Poles Apart, Snow Globe Family, & The Biggest, Best Snowman.  Since we set goals in Jan. I modeled/shared my goal with the kiddos - it was a great opportunity for them to see how adults set goals & aim for success too.  They are very helpful at reminding me when I've NOT met my goal :0).
  3. Now, I have this going on in my room:










NOT THAT I'M COMPLAINING!  By simply modifying my morning work routine - the students have gained independent reading skills.  They come in on Tues., Wed., & Fri. (Mon. we have Lexia computer time first thing & Th. we do DCIR) & begin practicing writing numbers to 20 & their first/last name in standard form.  Once that is complete (attendance, lunch count, money collected, etc.), almost all of the kiddos are reading/re-reading various books from our past themes - books "fought" for are on The Golden Bookshelf, I KNOW IT'S WORKING!

As you may recall, my 2nd Donors Choose grant was funded - perfect timing, now that I have a class of independent readers.  My grant was for non-fiction texts on insects, ocean animals, & African Americans.  I requested a few Scholastic Storybook Treasures too - ever heard of them?  Well, if you live in CO & have a winter/spring full of indoor recesses, you may appreciate a DVD (or 20) of famous stories that the kiddos can enjoy for 20-30 min.  (Of course I recommend Adventures to Fitness & GoNoodle too, but sometimes our monitors aren't so tech-savvy!)

So excited for my little Kinders to continue to get their read on.  What are you doing to motivate reading in your classroom?  These strategies have been really successful for me this year,

Miss Kristan King

No comments:

Post a Comment