Chalk ABC Background

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

We Love Books - Leo the Late Bloomer


So, I have an obsession with books - I love to read!

I love children's books & have a library of more than 2,000 titles...I'm the person with the HUGE Amazon bill.  I'm also the one who loans books out like the 2nd librarian, everyone stops by and checks out the titles I have.

This task - a FUN linky, is quite hard for me!  I love so many, too many.  But, if I must choose:


Maybe it's because I just completed the end of the year...this book is one I can't pass up reading to parents at our promotion each year.  Leo doesn't act like his peers in the beginning of the book - he doesn't eat neatly, read, or write.  

His parents begin to question if he's ever going to "catch on" like the other kids.  They watch for signs, but they don't notice any growth or changes.

Finally, at the end of the story, Leo reads, writes, eats neatly, & plays like the other children.  He bloomed - in his own time!  

It's a great story to use throughout the year in other grades, not just in Kindergarten or at promotion.  I used to read it in 3rd grade & 5th grade - I explained that we all don't learn to ride bikes or play soccer on the same day, at the same time.  I explain that we need to be understanding that we all learn differently & at different times.  This book is a great way to reinforce that everyone CAN learn, we just don't all at the SAME TIME!

I hope you'll love this book as much as I do, can't wait to read all the other links to see what other great books fellow teachers recommend.

Miss Kristan King

No comments:

Post a Comment