Chalk ABC Background

Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Little Bit of SPACE

So we've been wrapping up the year {a little of this, a little of that}!  Amongst the end-of-the-year hulla-bulloo I teaching about space too...

as if there isn't enough to do, LOL!

Well, it really is a fun unit - so, instead of using ALL our time to focus on promotion I decided to use Kinder Lit's Countdown Book.  It has been a great review of numbers, so it's getting done during our math block.  As I introduce new pages, I can teach various aspects of astronomy (astronauts, moon phases, rockets, satellites, aliens, planets, etc.).

I read various books on each topic & then we create the pages - with ink pads, markers, Oreos, tin foil, etc.  THE KIDS ARE LOVING IT!  I've been able to do 2 pages a day & the kids are learning all kinds of facts.

I find that it can be tricky to integrate math in thematic units...space/astronomy is a great way to integrate them {WHY have I never done this before?!?!}.

Here are various pics of our astronaut page:






No comments:

Post a Comment