Chalk ABC Background

Thursday, December 13, 2012

My 1st Award

So here goes, not sure I'm doing this right!

Lindsay at If You Give a Teacher a Treat & Mandi at MOORE Fun In Kindergarten have both nominated me for the Liebster Blog award:


The rules:

- You must post 11 random things about yourself.
- Answer the questions that the nominator(s) set for you.
- Create 11 questions for the people you nominate.
- Choose 11 blogs you love (with less than 200 followers) and link them in your post.
- No tag back (but please leave a comment on this post with the URL to you Liebster post so I can learn more about you)!

First, thanks to both of you for the award!

11 Random Things {P.S. Not really sure who wants to know all this, but here goes}:

1. My mom, sister, & I LOVE Christmas ornaments - we collect them on vacations & year round. They are how we track our vacations - I have some from England, Disney World, Mt. Vernon, & Breckenridge to name a few.

2. I pull my cuticles to relieve stress, once they're a HOT MESS I feel better. I don't realize this until it's done!

3. Pedicures are essential for my sanity - 'nuf said!

4. I could wear flip flops all year. Today {12/15} I was window shopping and wanted to buy beaded leather flip flops from a store. I LIVE IN CO & IT'S SNOWING!!

5. I love to collect mitten/hat/scarf sets & match them to my outfits daily. Looking for a cute infinity scarf...saw a cute one today but it was $65, um...NO WAY!

6. I went to England & saw The Merry Wives of Winsor at The Globe Theatre in London & cried - dream fulfilled, it was surreal!


7. I can't watch horror movies & movies with thrilling parts make me jump/scream/startle EVERYONE around me. I swear, regular movies like: Independence Day, Lord of the Rings, & DaVinci Code I have been known to scare myself & my seat mates!!

8. I was born in Germany & lived there until I was 6.

9. I sleep with 4 pillows - all for me, just ME & I'm ADDICTED to my bed, I miss it on trips!

10. I don't wear white socks, I prefer to be in open toed shoes {see 4}, but when I wear shoes that need socks, I wear patterned ones {and they HAVE to match my outfit!}

11. I have a serious phobia of reptiles, especially snakes. I cried in front of my 1st graders when the snake assembly guy tried to force me to hold the boa constrictor!


Lindsay's questions first:

1. What is your favorite part of blogging? Um, sharing...I love sharing my ideas & getting ideas from those who love to share too!

2. What is your favorite Christmas/Holiday movie? Christmas Vacation - my mom HATES this movie, but every scene cracks me up. Even more fun to watch with my twin uncles & sister {we're the Fab 4}!

3. What is your favorite topic to teach? I love to teach literacy, but have fallen in love with teaching math...hard to choose because they are taught so differently, but I like that in elementary school I can teach different subjects throughout the day & use various strategies for all that I teach!

4. Where and what grade do you teach? I teach in a public elementary school, in Colorado Springs, CO.  Presently, I teach Kindergarten.

5. What is the last great book you read? I read A LOT! Last great book? Hmm, The Hunger Games trilogy was probably it.

6. What is your favorite TpT purchase? I have purchased quite a bit! This is tough because I only buy for what I need, but I will go with Deanna Jump's Arctic Animals Math & Literacy Fun because my kids loved the projects & science.

7. What is your favorite pin on Pinterest? Hope to make these Wine Glass Snowmen Candle Holders for Jan. decor.

8. What is your go to blog? I love Cara at First Grade Parade, especially because she's teaching Kindergarten.

9. What could you not live without? My Macbook Pro, now that I've made the transition from PC to OS.

10. What is your favorite teacher tool? Apple TV & iPads - HELLO engagement!

11. What is your favorite teaching website? Eduss, a school math intervention site that lets me set math & NOW phonics assessments/tutorials for my Kinders.


Now for Mandi's questions {phew, have I lost you yet? It's a long post!}:

1. What was the first blog you started following? The Inspired Apple was the first blog I found & I kept finding more & more until I was stalking following everyone!

2. What is your favorite thing to cook? I like cooking pumpkin products for my pumpkin week. We taste pumpkin pie, bread, cookies, & seeds. I love to cook/bake with my mom - we're great company for each other.

3. How many years have you been teaching? 8 years - 5 in 1st, 2 in 5th, & this is my 1st in Kindergarten.

4. What is your favorite website to shop at? Amazon.com

5. What is your favorite app? Stick Pick or Doceri...oh, Apps Gone Free is cool too!

6. What was the name of your first pet? Duchess, she was an English bulldog & snorted all the time. I won a dog show & was on the front page of the Phoenix Gazette with her!

7. What is the one thing you would like to have with you if stranded on an island? my toothbrush

8. What do you like to do in your spare time? Spend time with my family or read.

9. What is your favorite time of your school day? My literacy block 10:15 - 11:20am.

10. Do you do Daily 5 or literacy stations? Literacy Stations, I can't seem to get Daily 5 & my "core" reading series to mesh. I can however work in Literacy & Math stations/tubs.

11. Which celebrity would you love to meet? (Living or deceased). Celebrity, no. But I would LOVE to meet William Shakespeare - the poet/author.

11 blogs I love (less than 200 followers):

1. Ms. Solano's Kindergarten
2. Glyph Girls
3. Keeping it Kool in Kinderland
4. Learning with Mrs. Leeby
5. Live, Laugh, I LOVE Kindergarten
6. Miss Nguyen's Class
7. Teacher Bits & Bobs
8. Lovely Literacy & More
9. Ms. Hutten's Buttons
10. Common Core Teacher's Toolbox
11. Second Grade is Out of This World

And FINALLY my 11 questions:

1. Where would you like to visit - bucket list destination?
2. What is your favorite PD/book study/teacher literature book?
3. What is your funniest childhood memory?
4. Where do you work (type of school, grade, & location)?
5. What is your favorite unit to teach?
6. What is your favorite TpT purchase? (link)
7. What is your best photo of 2012?
8. What technology do you utilize in your room (can't live without)?
9. What is your favorite blog? (link)
10. What is your favorite holiday to celebrate?
11. What literacy & math curriculum do you use - are you a fan of it?

Have fun with your awards, bloggy friends...this is my longest post to date {thanks for hangin' in there},

Miss Kristan King

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the nomination Kristan! I'm so honored :) The Inspired Apple was my first blog find as well, she rocks! Thanks again and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete