Chalk ABC Background

Friday, May 18, 2012

"I Scream, You Scream...

We all scream for ICE CREAM!!"

What do you do to motivate your students to memorize sight words?

My district uses Dolch words PP-3rd grade.  To motivate my kiddos, my first grade team has an ice cream sundae party at the end of the year.  Ticket into the party is mastery of PP-1st grade words at 90% or higher. 

BUT - we motivate students to learn 2nd - 3rd lists too, by offering extra toppings.

PP - 1st list = ice cream
2nd list = chocolate, strawberry, or carmel sauce
3rd list = m&ms, cherry/whipped cream, nuts, or sprinkles

The kids LOVE it - 92% of my kiddos are at 2nd or 3rd grade level with Dolch sight words.  I had a mom volunteer come every Tuesday for 1 hour.  She read the words, made flash cards, & practiced (until she was reading those sight words in her sleep, I BET!).

I'm so proud of my firsties - check out these photos of today's event...









Yummo!


No comments:

Post a Comment