Chalk ABC Background

Friday, April 13, 2012

Weather & a BIG Surprise!

This week we learned about weather.

We learned about 4 kinds of clouds - loved Abby's visuals {of course I had to copy, THANKS!}:

Cumulus & Stratus


Cumulonimbus & Cirrus
Then we labeled the water cycle:

Labeling FREEBIE from First Grade Parade - THANKS Cara!

And then we had a tornado demonstration {you can purchase the Tornado Tube at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 & they give a teacher discount!!!}:



These fun follow-up activities came from Abby's Wizard of Oz unit, but we didn't get to them while we were completing that unit...so I did it for weather instead.  The kids loved it!!
  


 



BTW...here are some cupcakes we enjoyed for Emerald City Day:



Gotta love Pinterest!  White cake mix, food coloring, & dollups of various colors,
WHA-LA Rainbow Cupcakes for Emerald City Day!!
Back to weather!  The kiddos made connections to Thundercake by Patricia Polacco, visualized/inferred with Water Dance by Thomas Locker, made/described pictures they created with "cloud paint" (glue & shaving cream) like It Looked like Spilt Milk by Charles G. Shaw & Little Cloud by Eric Carle, & wrote descriptions/menus for food they'd like to see fall from the sky in Chewandswallow like in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs & Pickles to Pittsburgh by Judi Barrett.

There are so many great  books for teaching weather - it was an extreme & tranquil week...

Extreme because of a Tues. meeting {where I announced to my 1st grade team, my new team (drum roll) KINDER - it's a change, but I'm excited for some collaborative colleagues}!

BIG Surprise was also that our BOE announced that 4/20 (which was supposed to be a staff development/work day) has turned into a day off....WHAT?!?!?  I'm a over the moon excited because on 4/20 my bestie & I are attending...


 
Now I get a tranquil day to doll myself up & prep. - this week was payday, so gonna grab me some new clothes & get my ducks lined up for next Friday's theater event in Denver - Wa Hoo!  And YES, I did teach a unit about the Wizard of Oz because it's a favorite from my childhood & I made plans to see Wicked...the kiddos LOVED the unit & we had a BLAST!!

TGIF,
Miss King

P.S.  I think I'm buying the soundtrack & will play it for my kiddos, so they can have a Wicked-esk experience too!!

1 comment:

  1. Beyond excited for Friday! It is going to be a whirlwind of fun!;)

    ReplyDelete