Chalk ABC Background

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Felt Board, Felt Board, What Do You See?


One of my ALL TIME favorite books to teach in the first few weeks of school is Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?  So you can imagine my excitement when I was shopping at Mill Outlet in Colorado Springs & came across this S.U.P.E.R. cute flannel fabric {see pic.}!!

I HAD TO HAVE IT!  So I did (a steal it was not, it cost $12 a yard, but I only needed just under 1 yd. to make sure I had a complete set of all the colorful characters) - actually the panel got me 2 sets {with some piecing, but my mom is an EXPERT sewer, so she hooked a daughter up!!}.  One set is for my firsties & another for my smarty pants niece, Addi.  When Addi out grows it, my sister can use it in her classroom - with her firsties (or borrow it, as needed!)!  All we did was blanket stitch the flannel fabric to scraps of felt, 1 pin in each was all the stablizing the pieces needed during sewing {we used a machine blanket stitch setting too!}.  If you don't have felt scraps, Michael's sells felt for like $.20 2-3 rectagles is all you'd need.

Soon, I will post my blog for how to take a boring 1/2 yd. of felt & transform it into a useable felt board that my firsties will use on my chart stand as a retelling workstation with these felt pieces.  Lakeshore sells a TON of felted pieces from favorite stories, but they're pricey.  Maybe I'll purchase some of those to keep the station up and running...but mine are pretty darn cute, if I don't say so myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment